A number of years ago I promised my little brother I would make him a t-shirt quilt. Now mumble years later I am getting to the project. It started out small since he had only given me about 6 shirts. Then I announced to my mother that I was ready to start on Bug's quilt and out of the attic she pulls a huge garbage bag full to t-shirts. It quickly went from barely big enough to be a lap blanket to an over-sized Queen.
My DH helped me come up with the grid paper for the initial outline. In one of those crazy moments I woke up at 3AM and tacked all the pieces together on the "map".
 |
| not the final order but at least even break lines |
Then came time to prep the shirts. Mother was nice enough to help cut off fronts/backs that were not needed and do some pressing.
 |
| the stack of "small" shirts |
Then after reading
this I picked up the right interfacing and we were off to the races. The downside to most of these shirts was that they had been worn by a teenage boy lots with minimal washing so as soon as the iron hit them the room was permeated with stinky boy.
 |
| First batch ready to square |
After many hours and lots of help from Mother we got everything lined and into the right size square for it's row. Here is the final lay out in two shots - it is a large quilt after all!
 |
| The left side |
 |
| The right side |
Sadly this will not be done in time for his birthday but maybe no more than a month late. Wish me luck!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment